Special Effect Mask Making Workshop with Mikey Rotella – DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO AUGUST 2013
Learn to create Character Masks or improve your Mask Making technique with our Mask Making Workshop. Mikey Rotella, Hollywood special effects makeup artist, will be instructing this mask making workshop. Students will learn to create a full face character mask from sculpting to painting. This is a fantastic class for all makeup artists and students who are interested in sculpting and molding custom masks.
This class entails the process of sculpting with WED clay and molding in HYDRO-CAL plaster. You will also learn about casting a latex mask and painting techniques for rubber masks. All students will receive their own custom designed latex mask, and a plaster mold of their design to create many more masks.
The Mask Making class is split among 4 Fridays in order to accommodate your existing schedules and responsibilities.
Day 1 – May 31, 2013
Sculpting in WED clay
- Discuss tools and properties of clay.
- Discuss design choices and use of reference. Demo Blocking of mask form and primary form construction.
- Class practice building up mask forms and works to refine designs with Instructor supervision.
- The sculptures are then taken home to be worked on for the next week until the next class.
Day 2 – June 7, 2013
Molding in Hydro-cal plaster
- Discuss detailing sculpture and preparing to mold.
- Discuss materials for molding.
- Demo molding process with Hydro-cal plaster.
- Class Practice Finalizing mask sculptures and molds sculptures in hydro-cal plaster.
- Explain cleaning process for removal of clay.
- Molds are cleaned and left to dry for the next week.
Day 3 – June 14, 2013
Casting latex into hydro-cal molds
- Demo of casting latex into mold “dwell” technique.
- Class practice casting latex into molds.
- As molds dwell techniques of painting and base color choice can be discussed and are demonstrated by the instructor.
- Demo Painting techniques dry brush/rubout/wash/airbrush.
- Latex is left to dry in molds. Students are asked to collect color reference for the next workshop.
Day 4- June 21, 2013
Trimming and painting latex masks
- Discuss materials for painting.
- Discuss color and design choice. Discuss techniques for painting.
- Demo Hair and glazing techniques.
- Class practice painting masks with supervision for rest of day.
- Students will leave workshop with a Hydro-cal mold and painted latex mask casting of a sculpture of their own design.
- There will also be multiple demos by professional mask maker Mikey Rotella from the Travel Channel’s Making Monster.
Space is limited so call today for info on to join in on this amazing mask making class. Call Us at 323-871-8318